2003 Moody 47
After spending many years cruising and living aboard Argosea, the owners have decided it was time to go home to the UK and pick up where they left off. They had incurred some damage with a close encounter with a bridge (never dismasted only top was struck) and brought her into Oxford to have the whole rig replaced. In the fall of 2018 she had a brand new Selden Mast installed along with all new standing rigging, mast head instruments (antennae, wind, lights) and radar reflector (easily $100,000.00 cost for new rig). She has had numerous upgrades in recent years and they are noted in the body of the listing. She has been priced to sell and encourage anyone looking for a long distance performance cruiser, equipped for Blue water sailing to come see Argosea.
Argosea has just cleared Customs and the import tax has been paid. She is now available for purchase in the US.
LocationOxford, MD, US
Flag of Registry
Available for sale in U.S. watersYes
Length46 ft - 14.02 meter
LOA:47 ft 2 in - 14.38 meter
Beam:14 ft 5 in - 4.4 meter
Draft - max:5 ft 7 in - 1.7 meter
Dry Weight:32714 lbs
Horsepower:75 (Individual), 75 (combined)
Fuel Tank:100 gallons - 1 tank(s)
Fresh Water Tank:204 gallons - 1 tank(s)
This is a lovely 3 stateroom layout with an extremely comfortable main saloon with a large Sea Galley.
FOREPEAKE; Chain locker with access through foredeck hatch. Watertight bulkhead, chain locker drains directly overboard.
FOREWARD CABIN; Centerline double berth with storage under and deep stowage drawers. Vanity shelves to port and starboard sides. Large hanging locker to starboard. Opening deck hatch gives light and ventilation.
PORT GUEST CABIN; Twin single berths, with storage space beneath the lower berth and locker with large shelves. Opening deck hatch gives light and ventilation.
FORWARD SHOWER/TOILET; Finished in attractive, wipe clean laminate surfaces, wash basin with Corian counters, marine toilet, separate shower area. Hot and cold pressurized water, electrically pumped shower waste water discharge. Towel rail, toothbrush and glass holder, toilet roll holder. Floor in decorative teak and white stripe finish around toilet and wash basin area and teak grating in shower area. Storage lockers and an opening deck hatch provides light and ventilation.
SALOON; Large C-shaped dinette to port side with table for dining and can accommodate up to 6 people. Generous stowage space under the settee, tankage beneath the saloon floor. To starboard are 2 built-in armchairs which house pull out stools to provide additional seating around the dining table. Hull port lights above and settee and seats provide light together with the large saloon windows. Opening deck hatch and dories provide light and ventilation. The interior is warm and inviting with medium blue ultra leather cushions in the saloon and wood cabinetry throughout.
NAVIGATION STATION; The navigation station is aft of the dinette and has a large desk with chart stowage space beneath the lid, drawer space beneath chart table. This area incorporates the additional electronics and electrical distribution panel. There is a wet locker aft of the chart table seat.
GALLEY; This is a wonderful working galley with a ton of storage as well as counter work space for fine food preparation. U-shaped and one step down from the saloon on the starboard side.
PORT PASSAGE TO AFT MASTER CABIN; Accessed aft of the Navigation station is the pass through to the aft master cabin. The area is comprised of a built-in locker/sideboard unit. This area is a wonderful work station and storage area for tools and spare parts and is across from the engine access panel. This area can also be converted to a skippers sea berth if required. There is a removable panel at the aft end of the area so that it can be extended. Here too opening portlight gives light and ventilation.
MASTER STATEROOM; Large centerline double berth. Twin curved seats, one on each side of the berth, flowing away from the berth. Generous hanging locker space, vanity desk and shelved storage. Light and ventilation is provided by opening deck hatch, opening port lights and an aft facing coachroof window.
MASTER EN SUITE HEAD; There is an en suite head for the Master Stateroom, the compartment comprises a separate shower stall complete with electric shower waste pump out, large marine toilet, and wash basin set in a Corian counter. Wooden finished stowage lockers. Towel rail, toothbrush and glass holder, toilet roll holder. The compartment is finished in attractive wipe clean laminate finishes. Opening port light for light and ventilation.
COMPANIONWAY; The companionway is located between the galley and the navigation station and leads directly to her cockpit. The fuel tank is located under the steps.
Large U-shaped galley one step down from saloon. Generous work top space for food preparation as well as storage lockers for food, crockery, pots and pans.
- Spectra Ventura 150 12V watermaker
- Isotherm front opening refrigerator (motor and electrics replaced 2016)
- Isotherm top opening freezer
- Dometic 3 burner stove (new 2017)
- Panasonic combination microwave oven
- Corian counter tops in galley
- Double stainless steel sinks with hot and cold pressure water
- The water to the galley sink is filtered through a Jabasco charcoal filter.
Wheel steering pedestal with stainless steel binnacle guard and binnacle mounted compass. Cockpit seats and sole finished in teak. Engine instrument panel plus binnacle mounted engine control lever. All the controls are placed within the long cockpit where spray protection is provided by the stainless steel framed windscreen.
Hand laid fiberglass construction with isophthalic gelcoat backed by initial lay up of powder bound mat and isophthalic resin. Hull topsides above waterline balsa cored sandwich construction for light weight and increased stiffness. Hull stiffened by bonded in frames and stringers in conjunction with semi structural internal mouldings. Hull is finished in a white gelcoat. Transom includes hinging transom door/swimming platform with electro hydraulic powered up and down functions.
Deck areas with integrally moulded in non slip finish in addition to swept laid teak deck to ring deck and forward coachroof. Deck areas stiffened with balsa core with plywood backing pads in way of deck fittings. Deck edge incorporates raised bulwark with teak cap rail. Inset cavita line in topsides. Painted boot top, waterline and antifouling.
- Yanmar 4JH3 (78hp, 57.4kw) 4 cylinder diesel engine driving through reduction gearbox
- 3 blade Max Prop
- Engine instrument panel mounted in cockpit.
- Fuel supply from tank fitted with manual remote fuel shut off cock.
- Sound insulated engine compartment.
- Automatic fire extinguisher thermostatically controlled blown ventilation to engine space.
Electrical and Lighting
- Victron 3KW Inverter
- Mastervolt 240V AC charger
- Balmar 100amp high capacity alternator
- House (total - 640 amps)
- Four 100 amp deep cycle AGM batteries
- Two 120 amp deep cycle AGM batteries
- Starter batteries - 2 lead acid
- Bow Thruster - 2 group 24 AGM
- Solar Panels - Three 120 Watt, two 75 Watt (total - 510 Watts) with controller
- Wind Turbine - Silent Wind 400 with controller
- USB charging outlets
- Shore power cable with adaptors as necessary
- LED light throughout
- New Wabasco diesel powered blown air heater.
All have been replaced in 2015
- Raymarine C125 multifunction chart plotter with navionics
- Raymarine 4KW 24inch digital HC Raydome radar
- I 60 Wind display
- ACU type 2 Raymarine autopilot
- EV 400 Nav computer
- EV1 sensor core
- P70 Control Head
- Raymarine EV1 gyro compass
- Raymarine AIS 650 transceiver
- Icom M506-11 VHF radio with HMB195 second station command mike at helm
4 Raymarine I 70 multifunction displays for;
- Speed over ground
- Speed through water
- Wind speed/angle
- Sea temperature
- Aquatics AQMP5BT Bluetooth Marine stereo
- ICOM M802 SSB radio
- Satphone Iridium Go antenna installed
- Pull down projector screen
- Computer monitor
Sailing Deck Harware
- Self tailing electric genoa sheet winches (Lewmar 54CST).
- 2 speed self tailing mainsheet and mainsail control line winches (2 x Lewmar 30CST).
- Single speed snubbing winch for furling forestay.
- Mast mounted halliard winch (Lewmar 40CST).
- Mainsheet with adjustable track aft of cockpit plus traveller lines.
- Genoa sheet tracks with adjustable cars and traveller lines led aft to jamming turning blocks.
- Genoa sheet turning blocks.
- Mainsail control lines led aft through deck organisers and individual rope clutches.
Spars, Rigging and Sails
In the fall of 2018 her whole rig was replaced. She has a new Selden aluminum mast stepped on the keel and all new stainless steel standing rigging. All of the mast head instruments have been replaced as well (antenna, wind, lights and radar reflector).
Masthead rigged, double aft swept spreader rig with continuous standing rigging. Selden Furlex headsail furling system as well as a new Selden staysail furlex roller furling. Cutter rig with self tacking staysail on furling inner forestay, Roller furling head sail and an in mast roller furling Mainsail.
Mainsail - by Evolution Sails (new 2015)
Yankee - by Hyde Sails laminated with foam luff (new 2013)
Staysail by Hood Sails
Spare Yankee by Hood Sails
Spinnaker/cruising chute - Istec Parasailor (new 2012)
I : 58'
J : 17'4"
P : 52'2 "
E : 16'10"
- Teak deck and cockpit
- Primary anchor - Rocna 55lb (re-galvanised 2016)
- Secondary anchor - CQR 55lb
- Third anchor - Fortress 15lb
- 330 ft galvanised 10mm anchor chain (re-galvanised 2016)
- Lewmar V4 windlass (new 2015)
- 2 electric Genoa winches
- 4 manual winches
- Hydraulic swim platform with stainless steel ladder and deck shower
- 6 man Zodiac life raft (new 2012, serviced 2017)
- Extendable cockpit table
- 3HP Mariner two stroke outboard for dinghy (at least 10yrs old)
- Stainless steel bow and stern pulpits with side stanchions and double life lines
- Sliepner side thruster bow thruster (gearbox and blades replaced 2012)
- 60m floating black polypropylene line on reel mounted at rear. This line is used to run a line ashore when needed (excellent for crowded anchorages in the Med).
- Stainless steel Arch that supports the Solar panels as well as being equipped with davits for the dinghy. It also has an outboard engine hoist and there is purpose built removable teak and stainless steel folding gangplank which can be raised and lowered via blocks on the arch.
- Stainless steel and plexiglass windscreen for spray protection.
- Automatic bilge pump.
- 4 dry powder fire extinguishers plus automatic extinguisher in engine bay
- 2 winch handles Emergency tiller.
- Dock Lines
- 4 Life Jackets with harnesses
The Moody 47 owes its impressive passage times to Bill Dixon's design of the hull which, with its extended waterline, cuts efficiently through the water. She is both efficient and comfortable. The Moody was engineered for stiffness and strength and built for performance cruising. The balance and power of her underwater section and keel gives superb sail carrying ability and stability for swift passage making. She can be sailed easily by two people. All the controls are placed with in the long cockpit. She is equipped with in-mast furling and a cutter rig with self tacking staysail for greater flexibility.
Argosea has received many up grades in recent years. As mentioned earlier, she has a whole new mast and standing rigging along with updated electronics, this alone is an expense of over $100,000.00. She has also received a new fuel tank as well as new engine mounts in 2019. The owners are even going as far as having the U-shaped dinette recovered and the interior detailed for the next owner. We have priced her aggressively with the understanding that this is her true value with the upgrades that have been done.
If you are looking for a well equipped offshore vessel to take you anywhere in the world, with complete independence, Argosea is waiting for you.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.